Golfing in Scotland
Scottish Golf Courses
Old Course – St Andrews is the oldest golf course in the world. The Old Course is a public course over common land in St Andrews, Fife, Scotland and is held in trust by The St Andrews Links Trust under an act of Parliament. The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews (R&A) club house sits adjacent to the first tee and although it might be imagined that they own the course, they are but one of many clubs that have playing privileges on the course, along with the general public.
Castle Course – With its cliff top location, the Castle Course is not a links course. However, it has been designed in the Scottish links tradition. The specially cultivated mix of bent and fescue grasses will give the course an authentic links feel and playability. Because the approaches to the greens will be similar to the greens themselves, running shots will be as playable as pitches.
Kingsbarns – Golf has been enjoyed over the links land of Kingsbarns beginning in 1793. Attired in their blue coats, the Kingsbarns men met for their Spring and Autumn Meetings to challenge for the Societies medals on the links and to enjoy the conviviality of friends over dinner in the Golfers Hall
Gleneagles – The King's Course, opened in 1919, is a masterpiece of design, which has tested the aristocracy of golf, both professional and amateur. James Braid's plan for the King's Course was to test even the best players' shot-making skills over the eighteen holes. When they play the King's the world's greatest golfers admire the cunning and craft with which he achieved that goal.
Turnberry – Long regarded as one of the finest courses in the world, the Ailsa came to international prominence with the famous duel between Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson over the four days of the 1977 Open. It was then, in brilliant sunny weather, that a capacity crowd was treated to an exhilarating display of golf from two of the best golfers the world has ever known.
Royal Troon – Royal Troon is home to one of the best links courses on the west side of Scotland and is steeped in golfing history, notably several dramatic Open Championships since 1923. The Open will be held there again in 2004. The club was awarded its Royal Charter in 1978 to celebrate it's centenary.
Prestwick – Prestwick Golf Club was founded in 1851 by a group of members who met at the Red Lion Inn, Prestwick. The Earl of Eglinton was the first Captain of the club, and presented a gold medal for annual competition, the Eglinton gold medal is still played for to this day.